Saturday 14 October 2017

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle




So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself in the unfortunate situation of being laid up.  I fractured my ankle in 3 places.....they call it a tri-malleolar fracture, so I have spent 6 weeks in plaster non weight bearing and have just gone into a moon boot and am now partially weight bearing.

I thought I would share with you some of my must haves/tips that have got me through the  the last 6 weeks, and cue lots of pictures of said ankle!!

So in no particular order:


Family and friends: I honestly could not have got through the last 6 weeks without my family and friends around me.  My hubby and kids have put up with a lot of moaning from me (I actually don't think I have been that bad).  Its really friggin hard when you are so used to just doing stuff, picking up clothes, bringing down mugs from your teenage sons room, tidying bedrooms, to suddenly not be able to do them and have to rely on others to do them.  I won't lie its caused a few arguments, arguments that wouldn't have happened if I had been able to do the jobs.  So kids and hubby, we are not quite back to normal but heading in the right direction! 
My Mum and Dad have been awesome, like I can't even begin to tell you.  They have traveled up, cooked, cleaned, shopped and generally help me stay sane - thank you Mum and Dad if your reading this. My friends have just been awesome, they have visited me, brought me food, and listened to me twine.  I have been lucky in that I have been able to work from home under "amended duties", work has been my solace, by this I mean it has taken my mind off the pain and frustration.  My work pals have been fantastic, they have all pulled together, made laugh (and cry) and checked in with me each day.  So I guess what I am saying here is to never take your friends and family for granted, the true friends will always be there when you need them.

Purchases: I bought a couple of 'grabbers' from my local Home Bargains store.  You know the type, the ones which you pinch at one end and they grab at the other, great for picking up and reaching for things.  They have saved my life (slight exaggeration!!).  Best couple of pound I have spent.  That's the other thing I haven't spent much money  over the last few months (although my kids have done it for me), I haven't been able to get to the shops so my bank balance has benefited.....music to my hubby's ears I am sure.  I was also lucky enough to be able to borrow a wheelchair, which has meant I could still do practical jobs such as put washing in and out and carry food through with me.

Be accepting: Now I must must admit I have not been every good at this one, but I have really tried (or been trying!)  I have tried to be accepting of help and not be too stubborn.  I have always been one to help others and massively independent, so too suddenly have to rely on folk has been difficult.  I love to drive, and not being able to drive and to be driven has been hard.  I have had to learn to be accepting of the fact that other folk will not always do something the same way you do.  I have spent much of career saying there is no right or wrong way to do something, I had to listen to my own advice.  I am getting there bear with me!

Practice as I preach: So I am a nurse, working in rehab, I spend my days promoting independence, and making sure that my clients are tickety boo!!  So when it came to taking pain killers I really had to practice as I preach, and yes when taken as prescribed and regularly I found myself pain free....there's a surprise!!  I am the only one who can do my exercises!!  No one will do them for me!!  I know this, so why don't I just get on and do.  I am now but I took some telling let me tell you.  I was scared it was going to hurt, but as the Physio's at work spend there life telling our clients..."it is going to hurt".  Crack on I was told so I am

Weak pelvic floor: So three children later my pelvic floor isn't what it used to be!!  So the fact that it currently takes me three times as long to get too the toilet at the moment, I cannot  afford to wait till I am desperate.  Not quite needing the Tena Lady just yet!!

Embrace your hobbies: So how often do you find yourself with time on your hands.  Not very often if your like me working full time and with three kiddies.  I have embraced all things crochet, I have crocheted a star blanket, crocheted poppies, and am currently on with some Christmas goodies (even gone to the other side and knitted!)

Set goals: So all the way along I have set myself some small goals and this seems to have helped me keep focused.  My main goal now is to be as mobile as possible as in next 4 weeks as I have a band competition in Perth and I will be going!  
Plaster off!!
So moving onto the next stage.  I need to dampen my patience, I want to run before I can walk!!  I'm in a protective moon boot, partially weight bearing (I'm not the most agile on my crutches!) and trying to get my very stiff ankle moving so I can progress to fully weight bearing.
If anything this whole situation has given me insight, and allowed me to experience the position I often find my clients in.  I like to think I can now genuinely empathise with them. 
So here's me signing off, no more feeling sorry for myself!
Share your tips/experiences below, would love too hear them

Thanks for reading

x






No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...