Thursday 25 May 2017

Our Geocaching Guide for School Holiday Adventures


As a family we love to Geocache and I wanted to share our fun hobby with you.  We have May Half Term next week and the Summer holidays, and there is no better way to add some fun to your trips away (home or abroad).

So what is Geocaching you are all wondering? 


  • It is a real life worldwide treasure hunt using a GPS device.  I use the app on my Iphone downloaded from the app store.The idea being you navigate with a set of GPS coordinates in an attempt to find a container (geocache) hidden at that location.   


So here is our guide to get you started Geocaching:

  • Download the geocache app from the Apple or Android store
  • Type in a location/postcode depending where you are to find local caches 
  • Try some ones nearby first to get the idea
  • When you have found some caches, select one of them and allow your GPS device to navigate you to them
  • Looking at the activity history of the cache may give you some clues to find it easier, or it may contain spoiler pictures.....you have been warned
  • There are different sizes of caches, from tiny to huge.  They can be magnetic or hidden away in tree trunks or other holes
  • Always carry a pen with you, as each cache has a log book which once found you sign with the date and name
  • Some caches have treasure in them, it is etiquette that if you take treasure you leave something.  So I always have some little trinkets that you can leave in the caches.  I buy inexpensive packs of kids erasers and always have some in my bag
  • Some caches have travel bugs in them, these are given special journeys/tasks to complete, and should be moved from cache to cache
  • Once you have found a cache, you must sign the log book, and then register it online on the geocache website or via your app
  • We have also hidden our own geocaches, and its great fun when you get an email saying it has been found


 



So why not give it a try, its such good fun and easier than it sounds.  My daughters has done a blog post on her 5 thumbs of geocaching

Thanks x

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...