Monday 6 February 2017

Football Mum #1

When I was growing up I never thought for one moment that I would be a football widow, never mind a football mum.  I had no interest in football, I would go as far to say I don't think I ever watched a match on TV. This was probably due to the fact that until later in my teens I didn't have a father figure in my life, my Mum divorcing when I was young.

All three of my kids play football, with two of my kids being girls, again not something I envisaged, a lot of my friends say that they had no choice.  You see my Husband after giving up playing football (the knees couldn't stand it any longer) was offered the opportunity to set up a Ladies football team affiliated to our local FA.  Some 18 years later  and after many difficult times the Ladies team is flying high in the NW league, still managed by my husband.  So you see the girls were born into it, however they were given a choice.  Both of them spent many a time on the side line supporting the team, many years watching the kit dry on the line, they tried dancing, swimming, all those things girls do, only to end up with shin pads and football boots.

Miss I, now 18, plays in the main for our Development Squad.  They play in our local Summer League, against teams across Cumbria.  It isn't always easy with a lot of the teams struggling for players, but with Women's Football growing across the Nation the future is looking good for our Ladies.  
Miss C, still only 9, is a promising footballer.  She shows guts, strength and determination all key assets to a young lady starting out in football.  Playing with our U10's Angels, they are a great team of eclectic individuals, who make a great team, and fingers crossed they will continue to grow in strong Ladies footballers.  It is probably fair to say that they at this young age playing on a cold, muddy wet pitch is not the best introduction to football, but they seem to thrive on it, perhaps made easier by the introduction of  Futsal during the worst of the Winter months.  Indoor fast paced football, certainly makes watching from the sideline far more fun for the Mum's.
Finally Master L started his football career early on after being scouted, was asked to join CUFC Academy at the age of 9.  The opportunity to be coached by UEFA qualified coaches, to be shown guidance, was an opportunity he also thrived on.  Twice weekly training sessions, and Sunday's travelling to other Academy squads (or home games) did finally take its toll when he became fatigued of it all, lost interest, and was released age 15.  This did not dampen his keenest for the game and signed for his local grassroots club, where he is playing currently.  I admire his tenacity and grit, to dig in each Sunday, especially for a young team playing tougher older opponents.  Long may he continue 
So here is to many more years of watching my kids play and develop, and to watching our Ladies team continue to reach for the top.  Proud Mum  👍

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...