Saturday 28 January 2017

Inspiration with Inspira!

I wonder how many students have a clear vision of what they want to do when they leave school or college.  My eldest two certainly don't, and it would be fair to say that with GCSE's and A-Levels looming it is causing some anxiety within our household.  I don't mind that they have no idea what they want to do, but I just want them to realise that the end of school/6th form is looming!

I consider myself one of those lucky ones, I knew from an early age what I wanted to do on leaving education, and I followed my dream and have forged a fantastic career.  

So with some bribing (I'm a great believer in a bribe!) we ventured to a skills fair organised by Inspira, a not for profit company who help with career inspiration.  We had a time limit as Master L was due at work in the evening, Miss I and her Dad had to get back for football training.  The bribe was extended to Miss C, who really did not want to go but with a lack of sitters we had no choice. Having experienced similar events in the health sector, I knew there would be lots of freebies, this was enough of a bribe for Miss C.

So off we went, arriving in good time, we split into two, I left the other half with Master L and myself, Miss I and Miss C set off on a mission to be career inspired and as an incentive to Miss C a competition for her to see how many freebies she could get. 
There was a whole host of County wide employers at the event.  Sellafield, Nestle, Pirelli, Cumbria Constabulary, the Army, and the NHS.  What a fantastic opportunity, to be in a room full of employers covering a wide range of sectors (or perhaps some might say a tad overwhelming!). However we embraced the challenge, Miss I stopped at at least 70% of the employers there.  I was so proud of her, she spoke with articulation and honesty, in the fact that she does not really know what she wants to do.  

Miss I came away with feeling inspired and with a handful of opportunities which she can now seriously consider.  Master L also came away with ideas, some of which he probably wouldn't have even considered.  Miss C came away with a huge array of freebies, she also had gorged on the sweets and chocolates available on the various stands.
Only some of the freebies


Did you know what you wanted to do when you left education?  Did it work out?

I don't recall any similar opportunities when I was leaving education.  What a fantastic opportunity to gain some advice and guidance, it was also great to see it teeming with students and parents.   

So for all those parents with kids who need some inspiration I can recommend a skills fair event local to you.  If nothing else its worth a look around and an opportunity to network with some of the big employers.

Happy days 😛😛


No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...