Friday 10 March 2017

My Exciting Weekend!

So I did warn you I was a brass band geek and yes my favourite film would be Brassed Off. My first blog post as one though.
I have played the cornet since being at primary school.  I have to say I suffered from lots of ridicule at the hands of what I have come to realise were just jealous lost souls, but it was tough at times to be laughed at and have the mickey taken out of me.  It didn't put me off though and many years on I still love it though.  
We have a big weekend ahead of us.  For weeks and months, brass bands across many Counties have been rehearsing twice weekly and more recently each night on the run up to the Regional Championships.  These take place in the North West,Yorkshire, West of England, Midlands and Scotland once a year and qualifying bands play at the National Brass Band Championships in September (as featured in Brassed Off).  
Let me try and give you an explanation of how its works. It works similar to football,in that there are leagues, more commonly referred to as sections.  The higher the section the better the band. Each section is given the same test piece (piece of music), which is adjudicated (blind) by some proper brass band geeks, usually conductors, players, composers, generally very well known experts in the brass band field.
Of course there has to be a winner, and of course we hope that might be us.  We won our section last year and came second nationally, and yes it would be great to repeat that experience.

So we have been rehearsing each night this week,and today we head over to Durham, where our regional competition is to be held over the weekend.  It is set to be a great weekend with a fine bunch of people.  It will be safe to say there will be some alcohol consumed and lots of giggles, but that is why I love it, and thousands of other too.
So I will up date you in my next blog post, and for those who follow me on Instagram (@notjustamumfromcumbria) I will attempt to keep my insta story updated. For now I need to make sure my uniform is ironed and I have my instrument and music.
Thanks for reading 💖  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...