Monday 20 March 2017

Our Night out in Manchester: The Smyths/Old Red Eyes

So my hubby was/is a huge Smiths and Morrissey fan.  For as long as I have known him he has been singing how heaven knows he's miserable now!

After much persuasion (to what I somewhat feel guilty about now), we headed off for a last minute trip to Manchester (home of The Smiths), to watch The Smyths.  Strangeways, Here We Come, was the title of their tour, a homage to their fourth and final studio album released in 1987.  A "more than a tribute band" formed in 2003 from there passion of The Smiths Read more  If nothing else it would be a much needed night out and back in my hometown of Manchester.



They were performing at the O2 Ritz Manchester, despite being brought up in Manchester a venue I have not visited before.  My Dad was telling us on the way into Manchester how he had recently heard on the radio that the underneath of the dance floor is made from thousands of tennis balls, that would explain the bouncy floor!

We headed in about an hour before they were due on stage, something which I now regret as the act on prior to them was a solo acoustic tribute to the songs and sounds of Paul Heaton, better known maybe as The Beautiful South and The Housemartins.  We caught the last 45 minutes of his act, and I have to say what a fantastic Delete repeated word (purposeful repeat of the word!) tribute, I could have listened all night, and we will definitely make a trip to catch up with him live again.  Any fans of Paul Heaton's work should seek this guy out Old Red Eyes


The time came and The Smyths took to the stage.  Now unlike my hubby I am not familiar with any of The Smiths territory, I associated it with untuneful dreariness, how much my opinion changed immediately.  They owned the stage, everything about them oozed passion.   They were electric, they took the music from years ago and brought it alive again.  We danced the night away and were hoarse when we came out.  How much I loved the fact that I was so wrong beforehand, we are planning to see them later in the year in Carlisle (our hometown) at The Brickyard. 

Thanks for reading x



No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Got Through the Last 6 weeks with a Fractured Ankle

So I have been quiet on here over the last few months, to be honest I thought I would have loads of time to blog having found myself...